2006/10/26

the windy thursday,

In Korea there are no lines. There might be some sort of formation that looks liek a line, but it just ends up being a mass of people. For example, getting on a subway. You may be right up in front, but when the doors open you have several chances of being left behind. People do one of those moves in football where they come from behind the linemen and break through (thats one thing that happens), another is that you actually wait to let the people get off the train before getting on. That is good and all but at the same time, the people onthe otehr side of the door, start to get on even while the people are getting off. By the time everone gets off and you start to get on, your the last one left outside. Yes I know what your thinking, but no, they don't allow guns in korea. So that won;t work! The only other option is to put my 7 th grade basketball weaving skills to good use.Someone nudges me from behind, what do I do: I turn my body around so all the end up doing is rubbing into me. It's very subtle, but I really don't like the idea of walking into an oncoming group of people who are trying to get off.
That's one thing I miss about Japan. The orderly formations. I had a friend come visit me from Japan. He said that when he first came, people cut in front of him. As this was happening, a Japanese man tapped him on the shoulder and said in Enlgish : "welcome to korea!". Anotehr thing i miss about Japan: plastic bananas, or plastic food rather. You walk by a restaurant in Japan, you know what youre getting because there is a display model (plastic of course) waiting for you oustide.
ONe good thing that happened: I arrived at my bus stop just as the bus was arriving.

I noticed two big headlines in the news: Walls being built in the Sun Belt and Gay marriage or "unions" rather. I got to thinking: Some day, theres going to be walls between pro gay marriage states and anti. I guess it just means that I won't be able to stand on the states border and proclaim that I'm standing on two states at once, unless I get really tall.

The day before, I had a class with my students (it was an elective conversation class) and I talked about North Korea with them. I asked them what they felt about people in the North and they said that they are Koreans just like they are. Also, they are angry at the North because they are really rude to the South. Even though they have given them lots of food, the North continues to threaten them. When asked about the US requesting them to stop visits to a North Korean tourist spot which gives lots of money to the NK government, they said that the tours should continue. They didn't want any war, just peace.

No comments: